In response to coronavirus, this service has made some changes – for updated service information click here.
School nurses are registered nurses who specialise in public and child health. The team of school nurses, community staff nurses and clinical support workers work closely with children and young people, parents, carers and teachers, promoting health and wellbeing in accordance with our Healthy Child Programme (5-19 years).
School nurses are available 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday, both during term time and school holidays.
- Routine screenings such as hearing, distance vision, height and weight measurement
- Health assessments for all children when they start school
- Confidential one-to-one appointments for children or parents
- A health contact in Reception, Year 6, Year 9, Year 11 and Year 13
- Signposting and referral to other services
- Health promotion and targeted interventions following the completion of health questionnaires
- Accept referrals from Parents, carers and young people
- Referrals from Schools and other agencies to support children young people and their families on an individual basis via the school nurse referral form.
School Health Central Team 2 are based in Lifehouse, Summers Road, Brunswick Business Park, L3 4BL. Contact number 0151 295 3315.
Once a child reaches school age, their health records are transferred from the health visitor to the school nurse. Your child/young person school health record will move with them through their school life and where necessary into adult services. This will ensure that any ongoing health issues can continue to be monitored and supported effectively as a child moves into school.
- PDA Statement