Making a request for advice referral to Speech and Language Therapy
The following guidance has been developed to guide you in the referral process for the Knowsley Speech and Language Therapy service. You can also download and print a Word document version of this guide.
We provide services for children aged 0-19 who have a Knowsley GP.
We believe that training and working alongside parents, carers and education professionals, and giving you the skills to support your children throughout their daily activities is the best way to support them to develop functional speech, language and communication skills.
We can support a child and their family by suggesting universal strategies or providing targeted and specialist support either in clinic, at their home or within their educational setting.
Who will benefit from a request for advice referral?
Children who have been identified as having difficulties in one or more of the following areas:
- Attention and listening (as long as there is another area of need highlighted)
- Understanding of language
- Higher level understanding and inferencing
- Expressing themselves
- Speech sounds
- Fluency (stammering/stuttering)
- Voice difficulties
- Social communication skills
What to consider before making a request for advice?
- Have a discussion with your school/setting Link Speech and Language Therapist.
- Implement the appropriate strategies detailed in the Speech and Language Therapy Strategies Booklet *coming soon*.
- Complete appropriate screening assessments and implement strategies as recommended, review the impact of this and whether the child still requires more support.
- Our speech and language therapy page
- Begin any individual interventions, small group interventions, environmental modifications as the support you have provided will need to be documented in the referral form.
How to complete the referral:
Discuss referral with your school Link Speech and Language Therapist
Out of area schools:
If screening on the WELLCOMM, consider the following:
Gain consent by requesting that parents/carers complete the consent form for referral.
Complete the Request for Advice referral form (August 2021) ensuring all necessary documentation is attached and consent is clearly documented.
Send the referral via email: email@example.com
Or by post to: Paediatric Therapies, Manor Farm PCRC, Manor Farm Road, Huyton L36 0UB
• Acknowledgement letter will be sent
• The parent/care will be sent an opt-in letter so they can book their child’s first appointment
• The child will be booked in for a first appointment at the earliest convenience. This may be a face-to face or a telephone contact.
• Child presents with developmentally appropriate profile
• Missing documents/consent
• Incomplete or vague form
• No evidence of strategies already in place (refer to Strategies Booklet *coming soon*)
• Child does not have a Knowsley GP
• It is appropriate for the child to access support from other services, e.g. Early years Language Pathway
|Whilst you are waiting for an initial assessment:
• Continue with strategies (refer to Strategies Booklet *coming soon*)
• Settings to allocate child to groups as appropriate i.e. Early Talk Boost, NELI
• Wellcomm Big Book of Ideas activities
• Environmental modifications
• Refer to other professionals as required