Our Learning Disability Community Team delivers a range of high quality, age appropriate, person centred services in community and inpatient settings that promote recovery, health and wellbeing.
We support people age 18 and over to access physical and mental health services that best meet their needs. This includes appointments with specialist learning disability professionals for those who need them.
We also offer a programme of training through the Learning Disability Training Alliance (LDTA) to increase skills and knowledge of other services to facilitate person centred reasonable adjustments.
Visit the service page for more information.
The Learning Disability Annual Health Check (AHC) pack, has been developed for GPs to help identify undetected health conditions early, and to ensure there is appropriate ongoing treatment.
GPs and Practice Nurses have the much-needed skills to help people with learning disabilities get access to the care they need from health systems that they may find complex.
It is important that everyone over the age of 14 who is on a GP Learning Disability Register, has an annual health check.
In addition to the AHC pack, there are further resources below:
- Learning Disability Friendly GP Practices – guidance on how to make your practice LD friendly, with steps on how to bring about this quality improvement programme.
- A Step by Step Guide for GP Practices – this guide was produced to help GPs, practice nurses and primary administration team organise and perform quality annual health checks on adults with a learning disability.
- AHC checklist – is for carers, family members or friends of someone with a learning disability (age 14 and over) to ensure that the person attending their annual health check provides all the information the GP needs so they can be fully assessed.
- NHS England – Watch these films to find out how great annual health checks and health actions plans are helping Charlotte and Harshi to keep healthy and stay well.
- People First – a guide to annual health checks for adults with learning disabilities
- Ardens Healthcare Informatics - Learning Disability Support
- Learning from lives and deaths – report the death of someone with a learning disability or an autistic person