Date published: 16 June 2022
Rowan View Hospital, Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust’s state of the art medium secure hospital, has won a ‘Fab Four’ of awards at the prestigious Design in Mental Health Awards.
The centre of excellence for forensic care, based at Maghull Health Park, won in the categories for Estates and Facilities Team of the Year, Outdoor Spaces. Clinical Team and Art Installation, just two years after it became fully operational. Mersey Care were also highly commended in the Project of the Year category.
“It’s an outstanding achievement for everyone involved in the Rowan View project,” said Elaine Darbyshire, Mersey Care’s Executive Director for Estates, Communications and Governance. “Merseyside is famous throughout the world for being the birthplace of The Beatles so it’s fitting we have another ‘Fab Four’ of trophies to shout about.
“When we first starting planning for Rowan View it was important we took in the views of service users, carers and our own workforce to ensure we built an environment that would inspire, innovate and provide the highest levels of care for some of the most vulnerable patients in society. These awards are recognition for everyone involved that we’ve built the right environment for recovery.”
Rowan View Hospital’s achievements are even more impressive because it was built and became fully operational during the COVID-19 pandemic. Some of its state of the art features include:
- An environment that will promote the integration of physical and mental wellbeing
- A social hub incorporating a café, therapy rooms, multi faith room, sports hall, gymnasium, music rooms, skills for life room, IT suite, bank and a physical health suite
- Use of therapeutic technology for the benefit of patients and staff including virtual reality and avatar therapy
- Art and design created by expert designers working closely with service users to enhance the site, its reception and corridors and its therapeutic spaces
- Flower gardens and green spaces
- Built to excellent environmental standards.
“We’ve delivered a radical reshaping of care at Rowan View,” added Mrs Darbyshire. “Our leading experts in forensic care from Mersey Care visited services across the country to make sure Rowan View delivered the highest standards.”